Mrs. Moa-Walsh’s Newsletter
May 8, 2020
Dear parents and grandparents,
Next week will be our eighth week of remote learning.
Thank you for the videos, kind emails, handmade gifts, and homemade cards for Teacher Appreciation Week, I am very touched!
Next week at a glance:
Reading: Students will be reading a story that is realistic fiction. It is called “A Storm in the Night”. This is a conversational story, using vivid vocabulary, about a grandfather and a grandson spending an evening together during the storm. Here is a link for students to hear the story being read aloud: https://youtu.be/UNEEDY3vKp0. Miss Sue, the school librarian, and I will also be reading the story at the next Zoom meeting at 12:30 on Monday, May 11th.
Math: We will begin chapter 15; the focus will be on attributes of two-dimensional shapes.
Writing: Students will be creating an informational flyer. It is called “Moose Tracks”, this will include a prewrite/work copy and final copy. All copies will need to be handed in.
Religion: Chapter ten’s theme is all about our Catholic Church leaders.
Science /Social Studies: “How do plants grow?” is week eight’s at-home science lab. Students will be observing plant growth for 10+ days. The assignment is not due until they have been able to measure the plant’s growth.
- In week nine of remote learning, students will be given a two- sided animal book to do a book report on. Students will be able to choose which of the two animals they would like to do a report on. Weekly packets will need to be picked up, as the book is too expensive to ship. I will have the packet out on Friday, May 15th, if you wish to get a jump start. Please note that during week 9 their reading focus will be the book report. Each child will need to present it to me in a zoom meeting with a few other students.
- **Parents/grandparents: Please let me know preferred Zoom times and days. I would like to schedule my Zoom meetings on days when I can get as many students as possible in attendance (send me a note via email) **
- Next week I am going to have two Zoom meetings. On Monday’s Zoom, Miss Sue and I will be reading the weekly story and there will be a quick show and tell on Thursday. Both meeting links have been sent to your email.
- Thank you for making sure work is getting handed in a timely manner, please look around your house to see if you have any loose papers that need to be handed in.
- Thank you again for all your support, positive words, and helping your child / grandchild be successful with their third-grade studies.
- I have attached an updated weekly assignment chart
Happy Mother’s Day on Sunday to all the moms/ grandmas. We are blessed to have you in our lives!
Mary3rd Grade Week 8