Mrs. Rittenhouse’s Newsletter
May 31, 2019
WOW! We are down to our finally two weeks. We have a lot going on please refer to this letter for all the upcoming events. Please try to have your child come to school every day, on time, for the next two weeks . We are in the middle of end of year testing.
Next week at a glance:
Reading/spelling: We will be reading the rest of the stories and poems in our textbook. There will not be reading or spelling tests for the remainder of the school year. We will have a spelling bee for fun!
Science: Students will be making observations of plants and animals living in water and land habitats. We will then move onto Earth’s surface.
Math: We will continue to work on both geometry and fractions. This is our last math unit of the year. I will be sending home the reminder of text books for students to work on over the summer to prepare for third grade.
Writing: Students will spend the next two weeks narratives, opinion, and informative writing.
Birthdays: If your child has a summer birthday please reply to the note, I sent home earlier week so we can schedule a day to celebrate your child
Homework: Your child should be working on a short speech about their hero. It should include name of hero, date and place of birth, what he or she did that was courageous, date and place of death, and a quote (optional). It will need to be memorized. Example: Hi, I am Davey Crocket. I was born in Tennessee in 1786. I was an American folk hero, who was known as the King of the Wild Frontier. I served as a congressman for Tennessee, and bravely fought and died at the battle of the Alamo in 1863. Please turn in a written copy of the oral presentation by June 4th. (keep a copy at home for additional practice). Once Hall of Heroes is over, we will have limited homework, please look at homework chart.
- Talent Show is next Wednesday, June 5th, it begins at 1PM in the St. Joseph Center
- Hall of Heroes is next week, 9:00-9:45 and 10:45-11:10, Thursday, June 6th, please join us. Students can come to school in costume, I recommend that the uniform is underneath to speed up the change clothes. Full uniform is required after we are done
- Join us for a MOD Pizza night, June 6th, ICRS staff will be there. This a fundraiser. I will be there after school around 5 pm, I would love to see you all!
- Field day is June 7th make sure your child is dresses for the weather and has on sunscreen feel free to join us. The second- grade students need to bring in jugs of milk or juice
- Starting next week, we will have no late start on Wednesdays, school starts at 8:30 AM
- Second grade end of year walking field trip to Kiwanis Water Park is the Monday, June 10th, we will leave after lunch recess, noon. We will be eating pizza at the park. It is free dress day, students will wear clothes they can get wet. Pack a change of clothes too. Contact Madison Kamb if you wish to help out, permission slip is due June 5th
- Eight grade graduation is June 11th