- Global Development Worker
You might think that French majors go on only to teach or translate. Some do, but here’s a partial list of French majors and their professions:
- Allison Hooper, Co-founder, Vermont Butter & Cheese Company ($7.5 million in annual sales), was a French major at Connecticut College and lived in Paris for a semester
- Haesun Kim, CEO of Suntransglobe Co., Ltd., has a BA in French and English languages from Hankook University of Foreign Studies.
- Eileen D. Millar, Vice President and Manager of Operations of Grass® Technologies (Neurophysiological Instrumentation), holds a BA in French and Education from Queens College of New York.
- Amanda Truman, Director of Product MarketingLeisure Pass Group (prepaid entry to rich history and cultural treasures at attractions), holds a BA in French and Linguistics from the University of Leeds
- Joan E. Hebrig, CEO of Centro|Scan, a PCI compliance and security solutions company, earned a BA in French from the University of Louisville.
- Fred Joyal, a graduate in French from the University of Rhode Island, is the successful CEO of 1-800-DENTIST.
- Bill Smith, General Manager of the Minnesota Twins baseball team, was a French major at Hamilton College.
- Peter Battiste, a contributor to “Sustainable Wealth”, an Analyst and part of the portfolio management group at Merk Investments, holds a BA in French from Siena College in Loudonville, New York.
- Catherine Cooling – Marketing Coordinator, Cheese and Manufactured Products at U.S. Dairy Export Council, was a French major at Georgetown University.
- Stri Zulch, Vice President of Marketing for Solaria (silicon PV products), holds a B.A. in French and a BA in International Relations, both from the University of California, Berkeley.
- Cynthia Bennett, a Policy & Compliance Analyst for Deloitte & Touche and serving on the Tennessee Alliance for Progress Board, holds a BA and an M.A. in French from Purdue University.
- Rachel Saunders, founder of Blue Chair Fruit Company, maker of jams and marmalades in the San Francisco Bay Area, majored in French at Smith College.
- Jennifer W. DiBerardino, senior vice president, treasurer of Selective Insurance Group, Inc. holds a BA in French and Spanish from West Virginia University in Morgantown.
- Amy Janzen, Senior Vice President of Marketing Communications with Major League Gaming, holds a BA in French from the University of Pennsylvania.
- Priscilla Seuss, Vice President of Sales for Northern Light Group, LLC (strategic research portals, business research content, and search technology to global enterprises), holds a BA in French from the State University of New York and an MA in French from the University of Buffalo.
- Marjorie Scardino, CEO of multi-billion dollar international media conglomerate, Pearson, earned a BA in French and psychology from Baylor University.
- Emily Kettle: Client Services Director for Facts International, graduated in French and Economics from The University of Reading.
- Scott Tieman, Head of Client Services at Red Bricks Media, holds a BA in French from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
- Hollywood superstar, Ashley Judd majored in French at the University of Kentucky.
- Brooke Shields, American actress, author and model, Graduated with honors and a French major from Princeton University.
- Famous Icelandic writer, Gerður Kristný (poetry, novels, children’s literature), graduated in French and Comparative Literature in Reykjavík.
- Nicole Redford, United States Program Manager of Art for Refugees in Transition, received her BA in French and International Relations from the University of North Carolina at Asheville.
- Sarah Cady, Director of Refugee Resettlement & Employment with the U.S. Committee for Refugees and Immigrants, received a dual BA in International Relations and French Language, Literature and Culture from Syracuse University.
- Tim McCoy – Graduate in Political Science and French from the University of Tennessee at Martin, is Vice President for Member Services, Corporate Council on Africa (Washington, DC).
- Gopinder Kaur, Sikh writer, ecology activist, Punjabi curriculum specialist for the European Union, graduated in French and Russian from the University of Cambridge.
- Emmy Award winning CNN biz correspondent Christine Romans was a French and Journalism major at Iowa State University.
- John Wirt, BA in French from Knox College is Associate General Counsel for Don King Productions, Inc., Oakland Park, Florida.
- Chloe Cho, CNBC Asia Pacific in Singapore and sole hostess of “CNBC’s Cash Flow”, graduated in French from the Hankuk University of Foreign Studies.
- J.K. Rowling, author of the Harry Potter series, graduated from Exeter in French and Classics.
- Mark Gauthier, Vice President, in charge of Indexing and Editorial Services in the H.W. Wilson Company (publisher of Reader’s Guide to Periodical Literature, etc.) graduated with a French major from the University of Vermont.
- John F. Matheus, famous African-American poet and short story writer, graduated in French from Coilumbia University.
- Tabitha Suzuma – author A Note of Madness, From Where I Stand, A Voice in the Distance, Without Looking Back, graduated in French Literature from King’s College London.
- Alicia Lee holds a BA in French Language and Literature from Columbia University. World-famous clarinet player.
- Bill Richardson, Governor of New Mexico and candidate for President, was a French major at Tufts University.
- Martina Pelešková, European Commission Representation in Czech Republic, graduated in French philology from Charles University in Prague.
- Nigerian Transport Minister Kema Chikwe majored in French at the Advanced Teachers’ College, Owerri. Her first and second degrees from Queen’s College of the City University of New York were also in French.
- David Zucker, a Senior Vice President and Partner of the multinational, multicultural public relations firm, Porter Novelli, has a BA in French Literature from the State University of New York at Binghamton.Sarah Schaerr Norton, Director of Public Relations for Accuracy in Media, holds a BA in French from Brigham Young University.
And here is what some French major graduates are doing :
- Crystal Marshall, Betsy Hoover, and Holly Moody are teaching French.
- Mandy Simon has taken a job as a chaplain after earning her Divinity degree at Duke.
- Rebecca Thomson has gone off to graduate school in Library Sciences at Drexel University.